Woollen covers absorb excess urine, which binds with the lanolin – the natural wax on wool fibres – and is neutralised, so if they have just got a little damp it is enough to leave it to dry out in the fresh air.
Thanks to the natural self-cleaning function of the wool fibres, the pants are left hygienically clean.
If all the lanolin in the woollen cover is used up, or if the pants have been cleaned, lanolin must be added again. The woollen covers then stop leaks again for several days or weeks.
- they will have some natural lanolin in the cover but it is recommended to give them a lanolin treatment (or two) before use.
- no need to wash, just require lanolising
- air out between uses
- cover may feel damp to the touch but shouldn’t leak through (if it does more absorbency is required underneath or the cover needs re-lanolising)
- wash every fortnight/month depending on how many uses
- use a gentle wool wash (Disana Wool Shampoo) or mild laundry detergent
- hand washing is recommended as it gives you more control over temperature
- wash in lukewarm water. HOT WATER MAY CAUSE SHRINKAGE
- never wring out water as it will mis-shapen the garment. Gently fold out excess water then roll in a dry towel
- lanolise whilst still wet
100% lanolin is required or use Disana Lanolising Conditioner. If using Disana Lanolising Conditioner, please follow instructions on the back of the bottle.
- melt a teaspoon sized amount of lanolin in boiling water. Shake well until the lanolin becomes creamy without lumps.
- add lukewarm water to a bucket and pour in melted lanolin
- submerge cover and gently massage the lanolin into the cover paying attention to the wet zone. Turn inside out and repeat
- allow to soak for at least a 4 hours (place a heavy object on top to keep the cover under water - cutlery works well for this)
- when the cover feels ‘tacky’ the process is complete
- fold out excess water (never wring) then roll in a dry towel to remove as much moisture as possible
- dry flat on a drying rack, turning every few hours (inside out etc)
Cover will be usable for weeks between washes provided it hasn’t been soiled. Simply air between uses as the natural wool will neutralize odours and has anti-bacterial properties.
- the use of chlorine bleach or other aggressive chemicals
- hot water
- dry cleaning
- using the dryer