It’s probably the most daunting part for most families - washing dirty nappies!
But honestly when we break it down it’s a very simple routine once it is in place and equates to a minimal amount of time in the laundry.
- natural fibres increase absorbency during the initial few washes
- wash once in warm water to remove manufacturing residue before use
- a dry pail is a basket with lots of holes for aeration
- wee nappies go straight into the dry pail
- tip or scrape as much solid poo as possible into the toilet
- rinse poo and night nappies before dry pailing
- wet pailing (soaking in a bucket of water) is strongly discouraged as it degrades the fabric and creates mould and bacteria
A two part wash system is recommended for best results
- use a short cycle with half dose of detergent recommended for heavy soiling
- a prewash every day/day and a half will prevent smells, ammonia and mould from developing
- the prewash cycle removes the bulk of soiling leaving the main wash to be done in clean water
- all nappies need to go through a prewash cycle
- Use the longest cycle on your machine with a full dose of detergent for heavily soiled load, up to 60°C
- Use good quality mainstream detergent
- a main wash can occur every 2-4 days
- correct load size will help with agitation and therefore ensure no stains or smells. Aim for 3/4 full in a front loader and a good water ratio in a top loader.
- line drying outdoors is environmentally friendly and economical
- covers/shells should be hung in the shade/inside
- dryer can be used on the lowest setting for shells, ensure elastics aren’t stretched until cold
- a thorough rinse should be done on nappies that are used for extended periods
- use hot water and detergent in the morning
- dry pail as normal
- hot water and good detergent will remove any residue
- use a liner if needed
- the use of chlorine bleach may void your manufacturer warranty if used incorrectly
- avoid fabric softener or vinegar. Fabric softener can coat the fibres causing them to repel. Vinegar may cause breakdown of the nappy components
- Napisan, stain removers and in wash boosters can be used, follow the instructions on the packaging.